Sunday, July 27, 2008

#12 Community Through Commenting

Thing 12 was by far the most educational. I had to slow down and read fellow students' blogs. I feel that I got to know these people much better by reading what they had to say and seeing the great things they are finding to put in their blogs. Some added their iGoogle calendar, some their books from Library Thing, and some have shared other great sites that correspond to what we are learning. This took me a while, but I now understand what is meant by a blog community.

Though there were many great ideas about commenting on blogs, the two I think that help establish community are leaving a comment when you connect with something someone says and if someone takes time to comment on your blog, acknowledge them. It is like having a conversation, give & take makes it more interesting.

I don't think reading & not commenting is a crime. Sometimes you don't connect with that particular idea. It's okay not to comment. There are times that I should just keep my mouth shut, or in this case, fingers quiet.

I really like Doug Johnson's webpage and Blue Skunk Blog . He is able to get his point across in such a uniquely humorous way. These are not on his blog, but below itI love his long list of favorite quotes, his t-shirt collection, and you know you are a librarian in 2005 when.....
I found he has been on the INKA (Inca)Trail, viewed the slide show http://www.slideshare.net/doug0077/survivor-the-inca-trail/ and commented, hopefully in a meaningful way.

I run, slowly, marathons & half marathons for who knows why; health, sanity, or just cheaper than therapy, any way I found this blogger who has finally noticed that more women than men are doing distance & it is usually in groups. Running News Guy: girls girls girls I appreciated his positive observations & support.

3 comments:

VWB said...

I agree...sometimes the posting does not warrant a comment...doesn't mean you think anything less about the blog in general.
as you build your community, your comments will be different depending on what type of relationship you have with the blogger.
After attending NECC, I will comment differently to a couple of people I met and now know face-to-face as opposed to just thru a blog.
p.S. Blue Skunk is one of my favs as well!

michelle said...

Thanks for the supportive comments. I believe the comments have made me try more challenges, now that someone is reading my blog. You will see I have tried linking & phots! I think I might be getting this... What is NECC? Will you comment in a more friendly way now that you know them, or more professionally? Just curious...

VWB said...

not sure if friendly is the exact term, but maybe the comments might be a little less formal? probably might be classified as some of the comments of a cheerleading nature...yes some of the comment info says those are not "proper," but if you really know someone you commmunicate differently don't you think.
NECC--National Educators' Compputer conference...over 15,000 people involved with educational technology!! it was something! lots & lots & lots of bloggers too!
take a look at my A Library is a Library blog...you can read a little about it...I am way behind n posting!